In most modern database environments, change is happening all the time - infrastructure changes (such as hardware replacement, upgrade or configuration) and database changes (such as database software replacement, upgrade or configuration).
A large proportion of these changes can only be tested adequately under a production workload. Quite often a complete production scale testing environment is too expensive to be considered viable. Assuming that it were economically viable to create such a testing environment you would still have the job of simulating the database workload and that can take months or years. Many companies ignore the requirement with disastrous consequences.
In a nutshell, if you can accurately predict the effect of changes to a production database environment then you will significantly reduce the risk associated with maintaining that environment.
With today's SQL capture and replay technologies we can:
- capture full scale production database SQL workload with zero-impact to the production environment
- replay the SQL workload in another environment
- replay the SQL workload with high fidelity, preserving its context and native concurrency
- replay the SQL workload at a higher rate to model capacity
The key benefits:
- test and deployment cycles can be reduced
- performance testing and capacity planning processes are more accurate
- risks associated with database or infrastructure changes can be assessed more quickly and easily
- changes can be more effectively managed by giving an accurate change feedback
- strategic re-architecture or re-platform projects can be streamlined and accelerated
- anticipated benefits of proposed changes can be measured precisely, before significant resources are committed
Find out more about the technologies we recommend.
|Optim Query Capture & Replay*||IBM||**|
*Note that our score applies to version 1.1 only. We have not evaluated version 2.1 released in December 2013.